Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Mobile Mini Bites

Let's be real here: a majority of mobile games aren't going to be as long, in depth, or immersive as console or PC games. So, I'm just going to do very quick reviews of the ones I've played.


Clash Royale

A mash up of tower defense, card collecting, and strategy? I don't know, but it's kind of neat! Build a deck, then use it to summon soldiers during battles. Each card costs a certain amount of mana, and can be upgraded with coins and duplicates...

...and then you realize you're not going to get anything worthwhile unless you spend money or join a clan. Spend lots of money, or find a clan not run by elitist tools or complete idiots. The game balancing is also a complete joke. Unless you spend money. Looks like I'm done here.

Final Verdict: Another mobile "strategy" game where spending money is the only viable strategy.


Summoners War

Wow! A monster collecting and fighting game with some fun RPG elements and lots of customization! Hey, these monsters are all nifty, and the battle system's not bad, either! And the game's even generous with premium currency! Awesome!

Wait...I have to repeat the same stages over and over again, hoping for a drop I need? Completing a stage, any stage, drops one item and only a tiny quantity of it! I need hundreds of items, dammit! And what's this? PVP matchmaking is pitting me against max level players with super-rare, max level monsters? I'm not even level 20 or in the top ranks here!

Oh, look at that. Even high level players and big spenders are getting screwed on item drops and monster summons. I'm out.

Final Verdict: Grind for hours and get nothing. Pay money and get nothing.


Super Glyph Quest

The first game made for fun times, so how does this one stack up? $4 for more gameplay, an actual story, new items, and other goodies? Sold! And unlike other match 3 games I've played, this one doesn't crash every 5 to 10 minutes! Awesome!

Okay, sometimes money gets too tight and the search for crafting materials can be tiresome. And some battles can get annoying really fast if your matching grid doesn't cooperate with you.

But, hey! No in-app purchases! No ads! No lives or timers to bypass! I'll keep it!

Final Verdict: Decent match 3 game that doesn't nickel and dime you!


Tower Madness 2

Well, this looks neat! Defending sheep from aliens? I like it! Nice tower selection, and daaaaaaamn, that's a ton of stages! Oh? I'm not forced to watch ads? And if I do decide to, I get a really nice bonus added to my winnings? Sounds good to me!

Hey, look! Everything in the shop is unlocked through regular play. What's this "Unlock Now" button for? Ohhh, real money required. But, how much? And why isn't that made more clear?

Well, can't really complain. The game's solid and has been completely free to play.

Final Verdict: Tower defense fun times! I'm happy!


Zenonia 4

Hot damn! A great-looking, great-sounding RPG! Controls are a little wonky, but that's only because I'm used to having buttons and keys to press. Translation's a little weird, but I've seen worse. Ooo, crafting and item collecting! And stat customization! Hell yeah, let's do this!

Well, crap. Main backpack's full now. That's going to be a problem with all the stuff I need to collect. I'll need to expand my inventory. Oh hey, there's the button for...premium currency. That's not awarded by monster kills or quests. And it's incredibly pricey. I'm done.

Final Verdict: You need too much real money for decent inventory space.

No comments: